At Catalpa, we work with people around the globe to create change. We use design and technology to connect people, make information accessible, and nudge behaviours for social good. Our programs are in aid and global development, spanning education, health, social inclusion, environment, aid transparency, labour mobility and more.
Our Back-End Developers have the opportunity to engage in a range of projects, working alongside partners to solve problems in developing countries. You’ll be working at the intersection of technology, design and global development, from concept ideation all the way to prototyping, testing and deployment.
The role works as part of a talent team with a strong creative culture, to help deliver high impact work that addresses international development challenges. This position is ideal for someone who thrives in a creative environment, loves building amazing applications that are simple to use and create impact.
This position requires diverse, hands-on professional experience. We expect colleagues in this role to be quick learners, extremely disciplined, and demonstrate interest and aptitude in a variety of technologies, tools and languages.
The Back-end Developer plays a key role by:
- Engaging in a range of projects and be involved in all stages of the software lifecycle from design through development, testing and deployment.
- Participating in brainstorming sessions and contribute ideas to our technology and products
- Working with the product and design teams to understand end-user requirements, formulate use cases, and then translate that into a pragmatic and effective technical solution
- Resolving feature requests and issues across multiple projects
- Helping to improve our code quality through writing unit tests, automation and performing code reviews
- Supporting the maintenance and deployment of multiple projects.
- Any other work tasks that may be required to assist with meeting the company’s changing needs.
Relevant mindset qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a related field.
- 5+ years of relevant experience in software development.
- A solid understanding and experience of UNIX/Linux server management.
- You have used complex relational databases and are capable of administering PostgreSQL installations, and developing against them using an Object-Relational Mapper (ORM
- Experience in developing applications using server side scripting languages. We use Python and the Django Framework, but experience with other languages is quickly transferable with a bit of desire and effort.
- Experience using source control. We use Git, but if you’re used to other versioning software, you’ll get on fine.
- You have previously worked in a team to collaboratively build software, completing assigned tasks and resolving bugs and issues.
- Enjoy developing alongside designers, researchers and other highly skilled people.
- Driven to continually uncover and share new developments and technologies.
- Comfortable working with a diverse set of colleagues (co-workers, clients and mentors) to complete a projec
- Inspired by shaping products from their inception to their release into the wild.
- A passion for making great products, and most importantly;
- You’re fun to work with.
Note: This role is for a fixed term for the length of the project. However, Catalpa regularly has new projects and the successful candidate may be considered for other projects at the end of the fixed term.
This role can be worked from the organisation’s head office in Dili, Timor-Leste or remotely from your home if you are based outside of Timor-Leste.
The Catalpa Culture
At Catalpa we strive for a strong cohesive culture, we are looking for team members who contribute to a culture of:
- Respect and valuing each other equally
- Trust, honesty and flexibility
- Always improving and growing
- Learning, trying new things and sharing
- Fostering creativity and encouraging curiosity
- Getting the fundamentals right
- Valuing ideas and striving for the ultimate results
- Sweating the details and getting them spot on
- Openly discussing work and receiving / providing ongoing feedback
- Critique the ideas / work, not individuals
- Basing decisions on merit not hierarchy
- Achieving better results by working together
- Hiring nice people with positive outlooks
- Doing work that meets the real needs of people in developing countries
- Working here because we love what we do