As a backend software engineer, you’ll join our founding engineering team and play a big role in building our platform that will power future Governments. You’ll be responsible for working on all aspects of our platform and products that enable our frontend teams to fly, our services to be always-on 24/7, and new products to be built with ease. As such an early member of our team, you can expect a meaningful say in how things get done.
By working with us you’ll have an opportunity to:
- Introduce automation into some of the most complex workflows
- Build a highly-modular, core system of record for cities from the ground up (think Salesforce or Atlassian)
- Play a role in developing new models for interaction between governments and citizens
- Build software that is used on a daily basis by both citizens and government officials
As a backend engineer, you may end up working on one or more of the items below. We're adding new customers often and our project list is constantly expanding!
- Question & Answer graph
- Pipeline deployments to the cloud that enable our team to move quickly
- Complex data storages & indexing of lots of data
- Enterprise-grade APIs that will be the platform for hundreds of third party developers to build new things on top of
- Using machine learning to identify optimal paths and bottlenecks in complex workflows (admittedly we're still months away from exploring this)
- Handling dozens of Geographic layers and hundreds of attributes around parcels and map meta data, and building tools to manage it all
A strong candidate will have or show:
- 2+ years industry experience and/or a STEM degree
- Demonstrated ability to develop cloud-based web apps and/or mobile apps
- Comfort working across the technology stack to move features from concept to production
- Incredible attention to detail along with a keen sense for when enough is enough
- Familiarity with some or all of our current tech stack: Ruby/Rails (API), AWS/EB, Postgres and a desire to introduce more.