Emptor is looking for a software engineer to join our infrastructure team, focused on site reliability and performance, maintenance and improvement of deployments, and integration with various AWS services, who will work closely with senior engineers to define and promote best practices across all teams in the company. This person needs to be fluent in Python programming and experience with Amazon Web Services.
This team is highly distributed across the globe and you will thrive in an environment of remote work and asynchronous communication. Our team members span a variety of timezones, genders, races, cultures, experience levels, professional backgrounds, personality types, and more. You're expected to have strong written communication skills and to excel in working relationships with people different than you.
Software Engineer II - Practices, behavior and knowledge:
Practices & Behavior:
- Identifies opportunities for unit tests and writes unit tests without assistance.
- Able to break down acceptance criteria into consumable tasks.
- Able to complete most development activities independently.
- Ability to provide some guidance to more junior engineers.
- Provides input during development.
- Participates actively in technical discussions.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Understands SOLID and practices on a daily basis.
- Has basic knowledge of common design patterns and their applications.
- Has basic understanding of Big O Notation and related time/space complexity concepts.
- Has an understanding of the programming language they are working in to design and refactor for performance and scalability.
- Has the ability to write SQL queries that join datasets as well as queries that include subqueries.
- General understanding and application of database performance best practices (e.g. index creation and usage, execution plan analysis).
- Intermediate understanding of web application programming and structure (e.g. HTML/JS/CSS).
- Common understanding of some system development methodologies (BDD, TDD, RAD, etc).
- Has a basic understanding of asynchronous and parallel tasking in Python.
- Has a basic understanding of AWS fundamental concepts.